The Citizenship by Investment Programme allows foreign investors to obtain full legal citizenship and passports by making a significant qualifying investment in Dominica. Presently the qualifying investments are a contribution to the Government Fund of a minimum amount of US$100,000 or the purchase of a property to the value of US$220,000.
The Citizenship by Investment Programme, enacted by law in 1993. is set out in the regulations published pursuant to Section 101 of the Constitution and Sections 8 and 20 (1) of the Citizenship Act. It is a well regulated and a very credible plan.
Applicants for citizenship must:
- Be at least 18 years of age,
- Be of good character,
- Be without criminal records.
- Have a basic knowledge of the English language
Applicants must engage an authorised agent who will assist them to prepare the required forms and supporting documents.
Citizenship is extended to your spouse, dependent children and dependent parents.
A ‘’dependent’’ means:
- A spouse of the main applicant. Unfortunately, civil and unisex marriages are not recognized in Dominica;
- A child under 18 years of age of the main applicant or his or her spouse;
- A child of the main applicant or his or her spouse between 18 and 28 who is in full time attendance at a recognised institution of higher learning after his or her eighteenth birthday and fully supported by the main applicant;
- An unmarried daughter of the main applicant who is under 28 years of age and is living with and fully supported by the main applicant;
- A child of the main applicant or spouse of the main applicant who is above the age of 18 years and physically or mentally challenged and who is fully supported by the applicant;
- Parents or grandparents of the main applicant or his or her spouse above the age of 55 years living with and fully supported by the main applicant.
A ‘’child’’ means a biological or legally adopted child of a main applicant, or of the spouse of the main applicant.
Once citizenship of Dominica has been granted, you will have all of the same rights as any Dominican citizen. You can take advantage of a range of personal benefits which include:
- Becoming a citizen of this peaceful and welcoming country for life through one of the oldest and most trusted citizenship by investment programmes
- Citizenship and passport within 3 - 5 months
- Dominica passports are valid for 10 years/5 years for children 16 or younger. Passports can be renewed provided that the property is held for the required number of years.
- Visa-free travel or visa on arrival to 141 countries/territories including the European Schengen states
- Minimal taxation – no wealth, gift, inheritance, foreign income or capital gains tax. You are only liable to pay personal tax if you reside in the country.
- Full residence status, with the right to live and work in Dominica
- Dual citizenship is allowed
- There is no requirement to reside in Dominica before or after citizenship is granted
- As Dominica is a member of CARICOM, you can also live in any other member nation.
- Dominica is signatory of double taxation treaties with the USA and Caricom
- There is No restriction on the repatriation of profits and imported capital
- Dominica has provided a number of fiscal, concession and generous incentive packages, including corporate tax incentives, generous tax holidays, full exemption from import duties, tax relief benefits and export allowance
- Currency pegged to US Dollar
- Duty Free Trading in Caribbean
The Government Fund was established through the economic citizenship programme as one component of a national capital mobilization portfolio towards an ultimate goal of national development for Dominica.
Generated funds are utilised for public and private sector projects where a need is identified. Public sector projects identified for financing under the programme include :
(1) building of schools,
(2) renovation of the hospital,
(3) building of a national Sports stadium and
(4) towards the promotion of the Offshore Sector.
With respect to private sector projects, government emphasis is on the tourism, information technology and agricultural sectors and therefore public sector projects to be financed under the programme will fall within one of these sectors.
To qualify for citizenship under this investment option, there are four investment categories with different contribution amounts, based on the number of dependents included in the application, which are as follows:
1. Single Applicant: a non-refundable contribution of USD 100,000 is required
2. Main Applicant and Spouse: a non-refundable contribution of USD 175,000 is required
3. Applicant with up to three dependents (Applicant plus spouse and two children below the age of 18): a non-refundable contribution of USD 200,000
4. Applicant with up to four dependents or more (Applicant plus spouse and more than two children below the age of 18): a non-refundable contribution of USD 200,000 (plus USD 50,000 for each additional dependent).
To qualify for citizenship of Dominica under the Real Estate Option, an applicant must purchase authorized real estate to the minimum value of USD 200,000.
Given that the application procedure under this option entails the purchase of real estate, this can prolong the processing time, which is subject to the chosen property.
The real estate must be held for 3 years and may be eligible for re-sale under the Citizenship by Investment Programme after 5 years from the original purchase date.
The total cost will be made up of the investment, and fees relating to the processing of the application. These will depend on whether you choose to obtain citizenship through the Government Fund option or the Real Estate Investment option.
(required for both the Real Estate and the Government Fund options)
Government fees are payable by each family member. These comprise of the following:
Per application – USD 3,000
DUE DILIGENCE FEES
Main Applicant – USD 7,500*
Spouse – USD 7,500
Dependant >15 years – USD 4,000
*In some cases, an enhanced due diligence may be required depending on the citizenship the applicant holds.
(required for both the Real Estate and the Government Fund options)
Fee for Certificate of Naturalisation : USD 750 per person
Expedited passport issue fee : USD 1,200 per person
GOVERNMENT FEES FOR THE REAL ESTATE OPTION ONLY
The following government fees are applicable for the main applicant and any accompanying dependents:
- USD 50,000 for the Main Applicant
- USD 25,000 for the Spouse
- USD 75,000 for a family of up to 4 (Main applicant and up to 3 dependents)
- USD 100,000 for a family of up to 6 (Main applicant and up to 5 dependents)
- USD 20,000 per additional dependent under the age of 18
- USD 25,000 per additional dependent over the age of 18