Canada occupies a major northern portion of North America, sharing the land borders with the contiguous United States to the south and the US state of Alaska to the northwest, stretching from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west; to the north lies the Arctic Ocean. By total area (including its waters), Canada is the second-largest country in the world, after Russia. By land area, Canada ranks fourth.
Canada is one of the world’s wealthiest nations, with a high per-capita income. It is a member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the G8, and is one of the world’s top ten trading nations. Canada is a mixed economy, ranking above the US and most western European nations on the Heritage Foundation’s index of economic freedom. The largest foreign importers of Canadian goods are the United States, the United Kingdom, and Japan.
Canada has one of the highest per-capita immigration rates in the world, driven by economic policy and family reunification, and is aiming for between 240,000 and 265,000 new permanent residents in 2011, the same number of immigrants as in recent years. New immigrants settle mostly in major urban areas like Toronto and Vancouver.
Canada is a sought-after destination for investor immigrants wishing to relocate. It offers various benefits including:
- It is a member of the G7, G8, G20, NATO, OECD, WTO, Commonwealth of Nations, Francophonie, OAS, APEC, and UN.
- Canada is one of the world’s wealthiest nations, with a high per-capita income.
- Unspoiled environment with strict environmental controls;
- With the eighth-highest Human Development Index globally, it has one of the highest standards of living in the world.
- Canada’s two official languages are English and French
- Excellent Canadian healthcare system;
- Excellent Canadian education system;
- Cultural, ethnic and religious tolerance are practiced by all Canadians and entrenched in their constitution;
- Safe Canadian cities and neighbourhoods;
- Canadian passport is one of the most valued passports for international travel.
Canada was in the Top Ten places on the planet to live according to the 2010 International Living Quality of Life Index.
Location: North America;
Time difference: GMT -4, -5, -6, -7;
Total Area: 9,984,670 km2;
Age Demographics: 0-14: 16.1%, 15-64: 68.7%, 65+: 15.2%;
Population growth: 0.804%;
Languages: English, French;
Religions: Roman Catholic: 42.6%, Protestant: 23.3%, Christian: 4.4%, Muslim: 1.9%, other: 11.8%, unspecified: 16.0%;
Government Type: Parliamentary democracy, a federation, and a constitutional monarchy;
Currency: Canadian Dollar (CAD);
GDP (per capita): $38,100 USD;
GDP (purchasing power parity): $1.33 trillion USD;